This week I saw the above post on Facebook on a friend’s page. Intrigued by the title, I checked it out..b/c I have never heard of Oil Pulling and it looked gross and fascinating. So, I was all in. Curious though, have YOU ever heard of this?
Apparently, its age-old and a natural detox. The added benefit of whiter teeth….I figured I’d give it a try since we actually have coconut oil in the house (although you can use other oils, too). Here’s how it went down:
Round 1. I took a teaspoon of coconut oil and put it straight into my mouth and began to swish. Aaaaaaand immediately gag. And spit. Most disgusting texture of goo EVER. Seriously. Just beyond describing. I was bummed.
Round 2. Right? After that who in the he** is going for round 2????? Me. That’s who. Dog with a bone. I remembered that the article said you could melt the oil for a few seconds and do it that way. So. I melted it. 10 seconds. Stir. A few more seconds. Voila. Liquid. After testing the warmth factor, I teaspooned it in and swished. Set the timer for 20 minutes. And swished**. Warm. Ooey. A little gooey. But not terrible. My lips were super shiny, though.
**Prior to swishing, I informed the kids of what I’d be doing. Naturally, I pick the time to do this during the morning get-ready-for-school/work-time. Needless to say, there were a hundred and one questions WHILE I was swishing and so the whiteboard became quite handy. And charades.
The second day went a little smoother. With only one kiddo up and both of us knowing what was going on, I STILL had to use the whiteboard , but it seemed to go quicker. Ish. That girl can TALK!!!!!!
Day 3. No one awake. Hubby gone for an early meeting. NO whiteboard needed. I did some online banking and next thing you know the timer went off.
A few days of personal research here for you, but I’ll keep you posted as it goes along. A few things and many links for you to consider:
- “They” say to do it first thing in the a.m. Mostly for ease of remembering and actually getting it in before the day takes over.
- Don’t spit it in the sink. It’s oil. Spit it in the garbage. Or pay the piper. Or plumber.
- Don’t swallow. It’s full of bacteria from your mouth. LIVE bacteria. Ew. Just. Ew. Brush your chompers afterward.
- Appears to be safe for pregnant and nursing moms as a natural detox method, however, I say check with your OB and go with your gut. However…….common sense tells me if you use mouthwash during these times and it’s not a problem…………..that’s just me thinking.
- Dental crowns. There are some cases that say the oil weakens the cement on the crowns and can cause them to chip or come out, so if that’s your lot you might want to reconsider. That’s a lot of cha-ching to mess with.
- There MAY be some side effects of detoxing, as for me, so far, just a little upset tummy but I’ve also been eating lots of veggies this week, so I’m taking it with a grain of salt.
A few links for your own perusing, because if other people have done books and talks and all the legwork, you should read them not my parroting…this is mainly MY experience thus far.
- The Facebook post that started it all from the top of this post.
- My favorite post on OP
- Another similar view, a little more straightforward with history, etc.
- Another Mama’s take on OP
That’s plenty to get you started, there’s a bajillion more out there on the webz. Do. Or do not.